CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Playoff Football Weekend

There are a few times in a year when I am moved to tears. The month long odessey which is the NFL playoffs is one time. Its nice to sit in the chair have the kids play quietly in the other room while my wife serves me food and drinks. I sit there with my dog by my side as and the whole world seems to be in my reach. Pretty much like conquering rulers once did in the middle ages. Oh wait that was my dream last night! I get to go to skate whirl and watch my 8 yr. old and a bunch of his cute, quiet and loveable friends skate awkwardly around an oval for an hour and a half! All while the New York Jets are at the hated Steelers home (Heinz Field) playing Gods gift to mankind - football. My wife has assured me that I will be out in time for the second half. I try to explain that my anxiety about all of this has nothing to do with a lack of love for the boy. Its simple these playoffs only come around once a year! Oh wait Alec only has one birthday a year - this is going to be a hard call. I feel then its my fatherly duty to be at the party and rush - I mean take my time - to get home and watch the second half. I'm hearing there may be a representative from the "Father of the Year" committee at this party so I could grab some recognition for this noble and unselfish deed! This could be a win/win situation! I guess the fact that there will be three other games this weekend will calm any anxiety that will occur over a half of a game missed!

I love lists so I wanna post a "3 or 5 greatest" list sometimes - feel free to comment back with the movies that you would find (not as great as mine) great.

My 5 best movies of all time
1. Passion of the Christ - unbelievable is all I can say!
2. The Godfather and Godfather 2 (tied)- "You broke my heart Fredo"
3. Dances with Wolves - still can't watch the cavalry guys shoot the wolf
4. To Kill a Mockingbird - an eye opener at an early age!
5. NottingHill - you can't beat Julia Roberts and her beauty with Hugh Grants wit!

Later

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm not even going to start about the fact that you would rather be watching football than attending your son's birthday party - I hope you get over your "anxiety". May I remind you that your children are God's gift to YOU!

That said - I really could care less if we drive two cars so you can leave AS SOON as it is over and not have to help clean up - which is your plan.

Here are a few of my favorites:

American President
The Notebook
Legends of the Fall
Raising Arizona
Steel Magnolias

PS - Kirk - there is no spell check on comments - dang it!

Josh said...

Seriously, this is the greatest day of my life. I LOVE having Jeff writing for the world to see. Going to lunch with him for four years provided less information about his life than these two postings. I'm reading this every day! I'm also inspired, a la Kirk and Jeff, and I too will now start a blog so that us guys can have communication by proxy, rather than actually having to open up in person.

BTW, I didn't get an invite for poker? I'm only 90 minutes away now. Where's the love???

Josh

Jeff said...

I pride myself in knowing my life is an open book. I recall many times during our lunches openly talking about my weaknesses and strengths. I feel betrayed by the fact that a good friend like you Josh can not see and feel me bare my soul. Good luck opening up in your blog -I hope it's not just facts and theories - common to a man of your inteligence.

Alyssa said...

I am with Kelly on this one...Kids first....football 99 or 101. I am trying to decide if it should come before or after sex. Now you are blogging more regular then me. What a commited blogger you are. I especially like the little flowers as the points in the comment section. It gives it a real manly touch, don't ya think?

Kirk Wimberley said...

As I sit here next to the television, half-heartedly watching the Rams get beaten by the Falcons and one amazing display of athleticism in Michael Vick, I'm still chuckling about your Skate Whirl birthday party/Steelers-Jets dilemna. I guess I'm lucky none of my kids' birthdays are in January. HA! I can also vouch for being moved to tears this month. For me, it happened Wild Card weekend. Forever, Joe Montana was the greatest QB of all times in my book, but over the last few years, another great QB has been persistently trying to replace Montana, and about 3 months ago, I finally gave in and can whole-heartedly say that he has finally been replaced by the one and only...Brett Favre. To see him and the Packers lose to such a wish-washy team last week was more than upsetting. It has been awhile since I have felt so defeated. Now, as far as I'm concerned, there is no worthy NFC representative for the Super Bowl. Maybe Atlanta, but I'm very hesitant to jump on the Vick bandwagon, so we'll see. Anyway, Josh, great to hear from you! We actually considered calling you Thursday night, but we (Deges and I) weren't completely sure if you had moved back yet, since our wives handle all the PR stuff. Now we know you are close by, so let's setup another game here in the next few weeks. I tripled my buy-in last night, so I figure next time I'll lose it all! OK, I better focus more on the game now.

Here's a few of my all-time favorite movies:
Shawshank Redemption
Armageddon
Dead Poet's Society
Top Gun
Radio
Family Man
Oops, that was six.