CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 20, 2005

A day in the life of a women's soccer coach

Second day back in the office with all the students back. Fun times - no parking spots, no quiet hallways (my boss makes me keep my door open til at least noon) and players stopping by to ask -"hey coach how was your break". This wouldn't be bad except for the fact that I have twenty five players and it gets old talking about... well actually just talking. So I decide to call in some of my juniors and seniors to talk over a few concerns of mine with them. You know the "leaders" of the team.

They enlightened me on some of my awesome players and their behavior off the field!

Concern Number 1 - Player X has admitted to Players A,B,C,D that she has "borrowed" a few dollars from them. when I say "admitted" I mean gotten caught.

Concern Number 2 - Player D,E - decided to hang with some of the Jr. hockey players and play a version of poker that I don't feel like I want a daughter of mine to ever play. (Josh - its not Texas hold'em).

Concern Number 3 - Player H has decided her 25 yr. old boss is cute and has started to date him. Her rommie is happy because "she spends the night with him every night so I have the room to myself" H just turned 18.

Concern Number 4 - Player J has admitted that the 15 pounds she gained after the season may not all be how much food she has eaten and might have a little to do with drinking alcohol every night.

Of course I shouldn't have said all of this, people should have their privacy. The three people that read this will have to take it with a measure of confidence. Oh heck I don't care the whole school knows all of this - thats how I found out. I know what you, my faithful reader, are thinking "out of control program." Unfortunately this is typical in college athletics, its just that I choose to believe it won't happen to my program. I will now shut my door and cry quietly to myself.

Later

5 comments:

Kirk Wimberley said...

WOW! Stealing money, strip poker, barely legal teens, and alcoholism. Jeff, you need to get control of your girls! Just kidding. Ya know, I never really thought about having to deal with all that stuff too. I just thought you "coached". HA! I can see why you don't like to communicate now! Are you allowed to discipline for any of that stuff? Not that you want to even mess with it, so maybe a better question is, do you have a responsibility to discipline them?

I do not look forward to when my 3 daughters will be between the ages of 16 and 21. Your blog is already giving me an ulcer.

Alyssa said...

Well if God continues to bless you with boys, at least you get a little taste of teenage girl drama! For some reason I can just not picture you deeling with all this. The guy who gets stressed if too many people talk to him in one day. CAn you set up a camera in your office so I can watch. That would be a real good reality tv show I bet.

Kelly said...

You all are cracking me up! I love that now everybody is getting to see a little more of Jeffy! He isn't just a dumb soccer coach (as Kirk implied - but didn't say dumb).

The problem with your "problems" is that we went to a Christian college and all of this sounds really out of control and crazy to us but it is normal college behavior at a State school. Well, maybe not stealing but the rest is.

I love ya babe and know you will figure out what is best for your team - that is what you are good at (I knew you got that Masters in counseling for something!).

Kirk Wimberley said...

I was not at all implying that I thought Jeff was a dumb coach! I simply meant, I thought coaching involved watching film of the girls (and opponents) playing, determining strategies to beat other teams, running well thought out drills to fine tune their skills, motivating the team to perform at a high level to WIN, cussing and screaming at the girls when they mess up, etc etc...all of which requires an above average cerebral capacity. Well, maybe not cussing and screaming, but that's just a side effect of coaching! Jeff, I think you are very intelligent, but a little unlucky when it comes to poker. In fact, I thought about you last Friday night during a game of high-low-split. My low card was a 4 and my high card was an ace, so I wagered a very healthy amount of money, and I was dealt an Ace (nonpoker players: to win, the card needed to be between the 4 and ace, odds were 77% in my favor, which is very high). I immediately thought of you, because you always get burned in that situation!

It is actually fun hearing what goes on in your head. I recall at a Men's retreat one year, where Castles suggested we have a deep and revealing conversation about something, and you were literally squirming in your chair, grimacing, and begging for him to shut up. HA! I think this blog thing is good for you!

Josh said...

Jeff,

Good stuff. I can see myself getting addicted.

I am also a big fan of Alias and need to get caught up on it since we didn't watch it in England. BTW, is the latest season of Sopranos out on DVD yet?

Started watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and love it.

Totally agree with you about people coming by and talking to you. Gets old doesn't it??? Amy loves it. I'm not such a fan.

Cheers,
Josh