CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 15, 2005

A year of honesty

I have been blessed with a burning stomach since my days in the old junior high! I think I am finally figuring out what it is!! I'm to nice! I know what everyone is thinking - how can a person who shuns all the people he comes in contact with be nice. Don't you have to communicate to show niceness? here's my theory - I know myself and I usually have a tough time saying no. I figure if I can keep from communicating to others - then they can't possibly ask for something or suggest something and therefore I can avoid a confrontation or request. Sometimes effective and passive aggressive move on my part. I don't seem to have this problem with my team (MSU) but I could with the parents of all the players I coach. This is one of the reasons I'm not a big communicator to parents on my teams. Running to the car after the games would be a good illustration (kidding)! Well I got nabbed the other day at practice. I had a player bring a note to me from their parent (this is not my college team I'm talking about - it is one of my club teams) the note said "food for thought" and had a lineup written on it. The same lineup we use, it was just that their lil player was in a different spot. Oh the joy! I know this parent will never ask if I received the note so I really won't have a chance to communicate my joy at having help in coaching. I was somewhat taken back by this because after being here for so long the parents usually don't mess with me butttttt apparently we have a brave soul who thinks they can help out.
Here's another great thing about me: someone can ask me to do something and as long as its a ways off I probably will say yes. I hate to say no to people and always figure I can make up an excuse later. Ohhh I know! I know that its"good to be a servant and help others, to have a good attitude, just don't over extend yourself". I have heard all these nuggets of advice before but it would be fun to just say NO. Or even tell someone what you are thinking about their suggestion. Whatever happened to honesty?I actually am fascinated by people that just tell it how it is - you may not like Simon (American Idol) but he is right a lot of the times. His comments are rude but they are often very true. I am a Jedi master of sarcasm but it would be fun to be very honest for about a year then see how people treat me. I would accomplish one goal - probably not many acquaintance's and the same amount of friends. Of course when you are like me and working from a number of about 5 friends its not hard to maintain.

Later (honestly)

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

stick with the sarcasm....it works for you!

Jeff said...

Sarcastic for thirty years probably shouldn't switch to brutal honesty!