CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 13, 2006

A good week, great day and awesome lesson

Well Kelly's back and things are back to normal around here. I really do enjoy the time with the boys but it was good to have my wife back. I did get to con her into getting me the OLN network so I can watch my hockey, plus the package included Fox sports world channel which is all soccer all the time. I should try to send her away more often.
The big news of the week occured last night at Alec's soccer game. My big boy scored his first goal. He didn't play when he was really little so he didn't get to play in the easy to score age group leagues. So this was a great thing for him and not to bad for his dad. It was easy to see the Lord's fingerprints all over this. I was driving him to the game and I kinda absently told him to play hard and I would be happy. He kinda gave a lil mumble and a quick "yeah". I asked him what he said, he said that he wishes he was better at soccer. I told him he was fine and he would get better. He says he wishes to be better because I coach at MSU and he wants to be good for me. I tried to explain that theres no need to be great at the sport his father coaches but I realize before I say this that it might not be very effective. By this time we are at the field and its time for him to play. I stand and talk with the other dad's through the boring, hot, mesquito infested first half. They all kinda went through the motions. Well second half hits and our best player gets the ball and dribbles to goal - well he has 2 defenders on him. His dad yells for him to pass it over to Alec (who is open) well the boy ignores him and shoots the ball. The ball hits the post and rolls over to Alec. Alec was about 12 yards out and he runs up and shoots it in. I just stood there - had no clue what to do. Alec just stood there and had no clue what to do. The team was so cool they ran up and gave him high fives and jumped around. It wasn't until the end of the game that I could tell just how excited he was. He had a huge smile on his face and I gave him a big ol' hug. We talked a long time but the best was on the ride home I was turning the corner and glanced through the rear view mirror and Alec was looking out the window with a huge smile on his face - it melted my heart. It's great how the Lord works when he allows us to talk about my view of Alec as a player before the game. Then allow Alec the opportunity (and me) to know that He is a loving God who is always three steps ahead of us.

Later

0 comments: