CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 08, 2006

Metal Mania

I just watched "When metal ruled the world" on VH1 Classic. I think I just now stopped crying my tears of joy. I have no regrets for the hair band era!! First it started with Van Halen for me and the 1984 album. Jump, Panama etc. I then looked a little to Motley Crue but not to much at first. I worked my way into Cinderella, White snake, Ratt, Quiet Riot. I loved the sound but with no MTV and not driving yet wasn't really a faithful listener. Oh but wait my little friends with the license to drive came Def Leppard (thats how they spelled it Kel). I still think Hysteria is one of the greatest albums I ever owned. We then had our doses of Poisen, Skid Row, Warrent, Great White, White Lion, Tesla. I liked them but they all started to sound the same. Oh but wait the a group out of L.A. was coming to the rescue, Guns and Roses. Them and Bon Jovi were by farrrr my favs of all the bands in the 80's. Each Bon Jovi album relates to a certain point in my life. Slippery when wet was the young bashful, learning to drive Jeff. New Jersey was the "wow I have some confidence and am more popular" high school and college Jeff. Keep the Faith was the college hanging out in the dorm listening to this album for four hours Jeff. Then so on and so forth. GnR was a whole new level. They brought the heat to Metal. I remember standing in line for two hours at 11:00pm for Use your Illusion 1 and 2 (or Red and Blue). I still think the album Appetite for Destruction (their debut album) was the greatest of all time (my pardons to Metallica's Black album). Ahh but it all ended my little friends. On came the dreaded grunge bands of the 90's. Nirvana's "smells like teen spirit" was the first punch and they kept coming with Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Sound Garden. Hey I admit it - I bought a few flannels and liked to think my life was dark. Yeah the boy at the Private College whos parents loved the stuffins out of him - had it really hard. I guess I'm starting to realize why Dad had my listening to Harry Chapin, Righteous Brothers, Bob Dylan. It really strikes a chord with our memories. Alec, Evan, Owen will never know what they missed!

Later

1 comments:

Alyssa said...

I was all about the big hair bands, and had the big hair to match. My husband however must have been living under a rock and does not know a single word to a single big hair band song. BIG GEEK!